About This Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is for FF161 - Drawing: Tradition & Innovation's orientation for a class project asking students to:
Instruction in the library takes place in one 75-90 minute session and is aimed at having students do catalog searching for a book related to a tradition that interests them, to study the book and derive key words from it for use in a second search, and to create citations for both books.
The goal of this session is to be very student-driven, so the instructor should lecture as little as possible and instead engage in conversation throughout the session.
By the end of this session, students will be able to:
Before the Session:
Several days (up to one week) before, contact the faculty person and request that they:
1- take an active role in the discussion of "what is a tradition" that happens at the beginning, based on their previous explanation of the project and their understanding of the students' interests.
2- contact students ahead of class and ask them to bring laptop computers to class that day, if they have them.
Setting up if the session is in the classroom
Create one large table with seating for 20 students. Bring out all of the laptops.
Setting up if the session is in the screening room and library tables
Reserve all the tables in "quarto" for the class to use.
Fold up tables in screening room (or take them out) and make rows of chairs for 20 students. It may be necessary to bring some wooden chairs in to the room.
For either location
Print out 22 copies of the worksheet (2-sided) and 22 copies of the feedback sheet.
In the Classroom:
- Set up the laptop for projecting, and plug it in, since the class will last longer than the battery!
- Set up 5 individual tables with 4 chairs around each one.
- Lay out laptop computers for the students.
- Lay out Worksheets and Feedback sheets at each spot.
In the Screening Room:
- Set up instruction laptop to go through the introductory presentation; it is helpful to bring the black podium in to work from. Plug the laptop in since the class lasts longer than the battery.
- Students will move out to the reserved tables in "Quarto" to do the activity, using Library computers and their own laptop computers.
- Lay out Worksheets and Feedback sheets at each spot (or pass them around once the students are seated).
Presentation and Activity